A guide to laugh more – laughter is the best medicine!
Laughing is the best Medicine!
Surely you have heard this phrase before. But is it true? And why would we laught all the time?
How do you feel when you laugh? Of course happy because the situation is joyful?!
Yes, but could it be the other way around?
Could laughing make you happy? And even help you heal?
Let´s get into it.
Robert R. Provine, professor of psychology and neuroscience at the University of Maryland says that the research isn´t complete yet so it can´t be said for sure if it is only the act of laughing or it there are more contributing factors to it.
But laugh therapist, you heard right! Laugh therapist Steve Wilson says: “I believe that if people can get more laughter in their lives, they are a lot better off.”
And why would we be better off laughing?
It affects our whole body and our mind!
Physical Health Benefits
- Boosts immunity
- Lowers stress hormones
- Decreases pain
- Relaxes your muscles
- Prevents heart disease
Mental Health Benefits
- Adds joy and zest to life
- Eases anxiety and tension
- Relieves stress
- Improves mood
- Strengthens resilience
- Strengthens relationships
- Attracts others to us
- Ehances teamwork
- Helps defuse conflict
- Promotes group bonding
Ok, so we know it is good for us if we laugh a lot. But, I don´t feel like laughing all the time, do you?
So I thought about things that I can do to laugh more or let´s say more regularily. Also, when I laugh afterwards I feel more ready to conquer the world and I´m not as sensitive.
So let´s see:
- If I´m really down and I feel like there is no reason at all to laugh – a funny movie can bring me to laugh!
- Sometimes I just look at some old pictures or old letters, which bring up happy memories. Of course then I don´t lay on the foor laughing, but I do smile and feel better.
- Be payful – I am usually very serious. So it helps to look at situations from a different angle. Laugh at mistakes, laugh if something goes wrong instead of getting angry. It will release tention immediately.
- We all have that one funny friend – right? Hang out with him or her. They will make you laugh for sure. You might even cry because you are laughing so hard.
- Laughing is not only contagious when other peope laugh – you can produce your own laughter. Try it out: Just start laughing, a fake laugh and if you do it for a little while, you will find it so silly that you will actually start to giggle.
- When my boyfriend and I talk about past experience, we often have to laugh and giggle. So talk to your spouse and find situations you had together that were fanny or maybe awkard at that moment, surly you´ll be able to laugh about it now.
- Do you have children or nieces or nephews? I have a niece and everytime I play with her….it is just all giggles! Children smile, giggle and laugh all the time and you will too when you play with them! I don´t see her often now, but looking at her pictures helps me remember and makes me smile!
- Jokes! Yes, tell someone or yourself some jokes or read some jokes. Even though this might seem silly. If you read jokes, and don´t think about how silly they are – be open for the experience!
- Use the internet – yes, you know everything is possible on the internet. Go to youtube and do some laugh-yoga or do a laugh-therpay session via online class. I felt really weired at first, but then I actually had to laugh so hard!!
- And last but not least watch this TED talk video, just because sometimes hearing about it is easier than reading about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HJG63EXCmw
So what do you think? I think it is possible to laugh a little more every day, right?
Let´s try it!